Connecticut Psych Ward Frees Cannibal for ‘Good Behavior’ Despite Disturbing Confessions


Tyree Smith, a man with a history of cannibalistic tendencies, has been released from a psychiatric ward in Bridgeport, Connecticut. This early release, a staggering 50 years ahead of his scheduled date, was granted due to Smith’s ‘good behavior.’

This decision raised eyebrows and sparked controversy, given that Smith had previously expressed a desire to consume the flesh of his own psychiatrist.

Tyree Smith, who was 36 at the time of his sentencing, was committed to the psych ward for 60 years in September 2013. This was effectively a life sentence, following a jury verdict of not guilty by reason of insanity.

The charges stemmed from a gruesome incident in December 2011, where Smith murdered a homeless man named Angel Gonzalez. In a chilling act of brutality, Smith mutilated Gonzalez’s body and consumed his brains and eyeballs.

Smith’s defense during his trial was as disturbing as his crime. He claimed to hear voices instructing him to eat Gonzalez’s brains and eyes.

According to Smith, these voices told him that this horrific act would help him better understand human behavior and gain insight into the spiritual realm. His psychiatrist testified that Smith had also expressed a desire to consume her flesh.

Despite these alarming revelations, the state board deemed Smith fit for release this week. They cited his clinical stability, medication compliance, active engagement in treatment, and symptom-free status over many years as reasons for his early release.

Smith will now be living in a group home in Waterbury, according to the report.

The state Psychiatric Security Review Board, after observing Smith for 10 years in the state’s most secure psychiatric hospital, concluded that he is ready to transition into the community.

The report states Smith denied experiencing cravings for human flesh. However, he did admit if such cravings were to arise, he would seek help from his hospital and community support.

This case has made national headlines and raised serious questions about the state’s mental health system. Smith, a former Florida man who grew up in Bridgeport and Ansonia, was found not guilty of murder by reason of insanity following a trial in July 2013.

He was then ordered to be committed to a state psychiatric hospital for 60 years.

The decision to release Smith early has sparked a nationwide debate on the effectiveness of our mental health systems and the safety of our communities. As America sleeps tonight, one can’t help but wonder if we are doing enough to ensure the safety of our citizens from individuals with severe psychiatric disorders.